Dancing to live traditional music
Poynton Ceilidhs bring you high-energy dancing to some of the best ceilidh bands from the North West and beyond. Don’t worry if you’re new to ceilidh dancing, or a forgetful expert — each evening will feature a caller who will guide you through the dances. The music is always live and dances come from a range of styles and times: from stately 16th century French branles, through traditional English dances, American square sets all the way to modern compositions from our callers. The one thing they all have in common is that they’re fun and can be fast and furious!
Dances are always clearly explained and walked through before the music starts playing. They’re usually for sets of couples, but that doesn’t mean you can’t come on your own. A ceilidh is a great social mixer and you’ll have no problems finding a partner. There’s no dress code, but you might want to wear some comfortable shoes. It can warm up when the dancing gets going, but there’s a bar for the thirsty.
Whether you’re new to ceilidhs or you’re a seasoned dancer; whether you’re old, young or somewhere in between, a ceilidh’s a great evening for everyone.
If you would like updates on Poynton Ceilidh events, please join our mailing list.
Dates for the 2019/20 programme are given below. Please note that this season ceilidhs will again be held in the Poynton Civic Hall rather than the Community Centre.
- Friday 27th Sep 2019 7.30-9.30. Ceilidh Taster Session with Victoria Berringer in The Centre in Poynton
- 19 Oct 2019 – Cock and Bull with Lynn Swain
- 7 Dec 2019 – Ironmasters with Baz Parkes
- 25 Jan 2020 – Albireo with Peter Crowther
- 29 Feb 2020 – Boldwood with Bob Morgan
- 28 Mar 2020 – The Kraken Ceilidh Band with Rosie Bryce. Please note the change to the original schedule.
- 25 Apr 2020 – Barber Band with Dave Ball